What's next for cable technology? CableNET® 2012 features new interfaces, connected devices and energy savings emphasis
LOUISVILLE, Colo., May 9, 2012—Next-generation content interfaces, new approaches for delivering IP content to connected devices and solutions for helping customers reduce energy consumption are among the many technology highlights that will be on display within the 20th CableNET® exhibit at The Cable Show 2012, May 21-23 in Boston.
Presented by CableLabs® in association with the National Cable & Telecommunications Association, CableNET will feature 34 companies exhibiting a wide range of innovative technology solutions designed to broaden consumer experiences and enhance the capabilities of cable's services. A total of 39 demonstrations will be featured across four themed areas — gateways, advertising, multiple screens and innovation in action.
Additionally, CableLabs is presenting technology exhibits in two nearby display areas on the Cable Show 2012 exhibit floor:
- The CableNext™ Showcase highlights cable company innovations in delivering high value video content to consumer electronics devices using IP content distribution technologies.
- CableLabs – Energy Lab displays solutions for conserving energy, including a "light sleep" mode for set-top boxes that is being introduced by leading U.S. cable companies this year.
CableNET, in its 20th year as an industry technology showcase, is known for bringing advanced technologies to the attention of visitors, in many cases before the solutions achieve widespread deployment.
"Once again, CableNET promises to introduce and illuminate cutting-edge technologies that show tremendous promise for advancing cable-powered services, products and applications," said Paul Liao, the President and CEO of CableLabs. "This year, we're especially excited to see numerous innovations arise around the concept of content delivery to multiple devices, through both fixed and wireless cable networks."
"CableNET shines the spotlight on emerging technologies that represent the cable industry's pioneering vision to deliver an unparalleled communications and entertainment experience," said Michael Powell, President & CEO of the National Cable & Telecommunications Association. "It's a compelling affirmation of our industry's penchant for innovation and a must-see showcase for all who attend The Cable Show."
"CableNET provides visitors an immersion in advanced and emerging technologies our industry is bringing to the marketplace," said Tony Werner, Comcast Executive Vice President and Chief Technology Officer. "For those who are curious about where cable technology is going, CableNET stands out as a must-see demonstration."
Participating companies and showcased solutions scheduled for the 2012 CableNET exhibit include:
- ACCESS Systems Americas: DLNA solution for multi-screen media sharing with OpenCable™ integration.
- Affinegy: Software for activation of secure home networks, device discovery and connection
- Alticast Inc.: Digital interactive ecosystem for TV operators
- Amdocs: Wholesale Wi-Fi offering enabling commercial customers to become virtual Wi-Fi network operators
- Aurora Networks:
- Unified IP optical network access platform supporting EPON, point-to-point Ethernet and GPON.
- Node QAM module enabling mix of services within the same QAM channel.
- BlackArrow Inc.: Dynamic placement and ad insertion decisioning across multiple screens
- Multiple 3DTV-capable set-top boxes and 3D content
- Next-generation user interface technology
- Augmented reality/content-outcome modification
- Automated presence detection using existing technology
- Alliance with Entertainment Identifier Registry
- Ceton Corp.: Home entertainment gateway, media center extender and hospitality network solution
- Cisco: Wi-Fi technology showcase
- Civolution: Watermarking of content for anti-piracy and time-synchronized content
- Dyyno Inc.: TV Everywhere and Android set-top box solution
- Enseo Inc.: Scalable delivery of HD content to hospitality and health care market
- Esri: Commercial and backhaul service location qualification
- Front Porch Inc.: Mobile browser messaging in Wi-Fi networks for branding, discovery
- Guavas: Analytics platform for supporting business decision-making
- Humax USA: STB solutions from IP gateways, client set-top boxes and OTT platforms
- IPgallery Inc.: HTML-5/cloud-based voice, video and data application with social networking/content-sharing
- Irdeto: Solutions for securely managing/distributing personal media content to connected devices
- Jinni: Next generation video navigation and personalized discovery
- Minerva Networks: Migration path alternatives for IP-centric pay TV platforms
- NAGRA-KUDELSKI: Gateway enabling IP devices access to broadcast services over existing network/home gateway infrastructure
- NAGRA-OpenTV: Dynamic addressable ad insertion in broadcast and PVR content
- Neustar: Solution for enabling text messaging to network-connected devices other than mobile phones
- S&T: Enterprise monitoring and analysis for OpenCable™, EBIF™ and Common Download deployments
- S3Group: Solutions for lifecycle management of digital TV receiver devices
- Sandvine: Business intelligence for understanding traffic forces driving network consumption/peak capacity requirements
- SiliconDust: OpenCable UniDirectional Receiver (OCUR) DLNA TV Tuner with DTCP-IP
- Tektronix: Video quality monitoring and error detection/diagnosis for H.264 video streams
- ThinkAnalytics: Content recommendation and search platform providing personalization
- Ubee Interactive: Interactive gateway enabling applications for multiple devices
- UXP Systems: Multiscreen interaction platform unifying user experiences across services
- Visible World: Web-based campaign management application for targeted TV advertising
- Wipro Ltd.: Pre-paid broadband service for reducing billing, support costs in lower-yield environments
- Zodiac Interactive: HTML5 platform and social media suite with content recognition
CableLabs® is a registered trademark of Cable Television Laboratories, Inc. Other CableLabs marks are listed at http://www.cablelabs.com/certqual/trademarks. All other marks are the property of their respective owners.