CableLabs® Joins with SCTE to Demo 'Tools'
at SCTE Cable-Tec Expo®
"Helping to resolve critical operational issues for our members based on CableLabs' advanced technology development is a key part of the ongoing association between CableLabs and SCTE," said CableLabs President and CEO Dr. Paul Liao. "This booth will contain several, but not all, of the advanced technology service tools and test processes we are rolling out to the industry," he added.
"This demonstration is the tip of the iceberg in our cooperative relationship with CableLabs," said Mark Dzuban, President and CEO of SCTE. "By working together, our two organizations can provide the training and education necessary to ensure that cable's workforce is optimizing how these tools can solve operational issues in the field with respect to the new technologies developed by CableLabs."
Co-sponsored with SCTE, the 600-square-foot showcase will contain exhibits of CableLabs-generated technology demonstrations, including:
- Proactive Network Maintenance - The demo will focus on the use of pre-equalization data and network topology information for fault localization and troubleshooting of cable plant problems proactively.
- EYES Tool - The Examine Your Edge System (EYES) tool provides visibility into Cable system metadata. It parses and displays SI, XAIT, guide data, DSG tunnels, etc. EYES can be used by MSOs to troubleshoot configuration and network problems, as well as visualize network health at the packet-level.
- Tru2way® Software Development Kit (SDK) - The tru2way® SDK is an integrated development environment (IDE) for developing tru2way applications on a PC platform. The application developer can develop and test OCAP applications while sitting at a PC without the need for an OCAP-compliant set-top box or cable plant network.
- Wi-Fi Gateway Management (GW) - The Wi-Fi GW Management demo will highlight configuration and performance reports designed for efficient cable operator Wi-Fi deployments, while enabling support for advanced customer care services. Wi-Fi management for a variety of public, enterprise, and residential deployments scenarios will be demonstrated with the support of suppliers ClearAccess and NETGEAR. Wi-Fi GW management technology by MSOs and CableLabs should enable consumers to easily manage the proliferation of Wi-Fi capable devices in the home or office.
- SCTE 130 Emulator - The demo has two components aimed at promoting broad adoption of an MSO-defined interoperable subset of the SCTE-130 standard. The first is technology for managing a well-defined subset of the very large number of possible SCTE-130 messages. The second is a lightweight software emulator for any SCTE-130 component that is capable of exchanging and verifying specific messages of the subset.
- EARS Tool - The ETV Activity Reporting System (EARS) is a platform for ETV monitoring and reporting that gives a real-time view of EISS signaling, EBIF™ applications, and data resources. EARS can monitor ETV in video streams at multiple points in the head end, as well as at the edge of a plant, and it notifies users of anomalies in the ETV signaling.
- CableLabs Ad lab and Canoe Innovation Lab - The CableLabs AdLab and the Canoe Innovation Lab have been created to help evolve SCTE 130-based dynamic ad insertion capability. Find out more about dynamic ad insertion using SCTE 130 standards and how to participate in the labs.
- EBIF Awareness: CableLabs will be educating the conference audience about the EBIF Awareness Initiative. EBIF (Enhanced Binary Interchange Format) is an interactive television (ITV) standard that is targeted to reach 25 million households by the end of 2010. We will be showcasing www.ebif.tv, a website which explains the EBIF platform, contains developer tools and highlights recent EBIF deployment success stories.
About CableLabs: Cable Television Laboratories (www.cablelabs.com) was founded in 1988 by members of the cable television industry. A non-profit research and development consortium, CableLabs delivers innovations that enable cable operators to be the providers of choice in their markets. Cable operators from around the world are members. CableLabs maintains web sites at www.cablelabs.com; www.packetcable.com; www.cablemodem.com; www.cablenet.org, and www.opencable.com.
CableLabs® is a registered trademark of Cable Television Laboratories, Inc. Other CableLabs marks are listed at http://www.cablelabs.com/certqual/trademarks. All other marks are the property of their respective owners.