Tru2way™ Platform and Advanced Interactive Services Highlight CableNET® 2009 Technology Showcase
Louisville, Colorado, March 11, 2009—Tru2way™ technology, including hardware, content/applications and test equipment, will play a major role in this year's CableNET® at The Cable Show '09 April 1–3 in Washington, D.C. Tru2way is the brand name for interactive digital cable services delivered over the cable video network.
Other applications and services that will be showcased in this industry exhibit include online broadband video, social networking, advanced advertising and home networking.
Tru2way applications follow CableLabs'® OpenCable™ Application Platform (OCAP™) specification which is based on Sun Microsystems' widely accepted Java™ technology. Examples of tru2way applications include interactive program guides, interactive ads, games, chat, web browsing, and t-commerce. In addition, several companies will participate in the technology showcase by using the EBIF (Enhanced TV Binary Interchange Format) specification, a separate technology which enables interactive applications to run on the millions of digital set tops already deployed by cable operators.
CableNET is a technology showcase that is co-sponsored by CableLabs and the National Cable & Telecommunications Association (NCTA), and offers a hands-on experience with many of the most exciting content, services, and applications.
Among the companies that will be demonstrating tru2way technology are Amdocs, BIAP, NDS, Samsung, UniSoft and Zodiac Interactive. Another highlight of CableNET this year is advanced network management, featuring Mixed Signals, Motorola, Sandvine and SupportSoft.
CableNET '09 will once again include a theater to house project primers and presentations by CableLabs staff. Topics will include business services, 3DTV, and tru2way technology.
Historically, CableNET has provided attendees a first glimpse of many nascent, leading-edge technologies and applications. Those included early views of the cable industry's Data over Cable Service Interface Specification (DOCSIS®) platform; high-definition televisions; two-way, OCAP-based devices, and early displays of interactive services and Voice-over-Internet Protocol (VoIP).
Participating companies with brief descriptions of their demonstrations follow:
- Amdocs will demonstrate how a cable customer can self activate services on a tru2way set-top box.
- Aspera will show file transfer technology for cable applications.
- Aurora Networks will show how an RFoG deployment can be seamlessly extended to an all-IP access network using PON technology. Additionally, it will exhibit key components of its fiber deep solution, showing how bandwidth can be cost-effectively increased while reducing operating expenses.
- Beyond Broadband Technology, LLC, (BBT) will show The BBTSolution™, an open standard downloadable security system.
- BIAP will exhibit an enhanced binary interchange format (EBIF) system for cable operators.
- CableLabs will present a group of cable programming networks, including Starz and HSN, which have developed interactive entertainment and shopping applications, running on the ETV/EBIF or tru2way platforms. For example, a Starz EBIF application features a mini-guide that links the Starz linear channel to Starz On Demand content to bring current subscribers more value through an enhanced viewer experience.
- F-Secure will display security applications.
- Infinera plans to show digital optical transport systems based on photonic integrated circuits, which enable Digital ROADMs to deliver a full range of services including 40 Gb/s and 100 Gb/s services.
- IPgallery will demonstrate its converged DTV-IPTV solution delivering Enhanced TV (ETV) services infused with Telco 2.0 and Web 2.0 based on its unique network-centric IMS architecture.
- Irdeto will exhibit its end-to-end solutions for home networking, and its digital to analog (DTA) converter that includes a state of the art, low cost, high security downloadable CA system.
- Mixed Signals will demonstrate a solution that provides cable operators with the ability to determine severity of any video problems in the network and how much these errors affect viewers.
- Motorola will exhibit its NBBS device management software platform. It will also exhibit the benefits of synchronous code division multiple access (SCDMA) as it relates to enhanced upstream data throughput.
- NDS plans to show a range of set top box and home networking technologies that are made possible by tru2way technology.
- Netezza will demonstrate a high-performance enterprise-class data warehouse appliance that maximizes the impact of BI.
- OpenTV plans to showcase EclipsePlus™, their leading campaign management solution as well as a real time Ad Decision Service for a variety of applications, including linear, video-on-demand and addressable advertising.
- RGB Networks will display a complete cable architecture in three rack units, enabling operators to deliver a full range of revenue generating video services.
- Samsung plans to display tru2way-based set tops, home networking and portability applications.
- Sandvine will demonstrate how its carrier grade solution can enable a variety of subscriber services by leveraging devices that support standards-based interfaces.
- Shenick will demonstrate its DOCSIS 3.0 test systems used to determine real performance on a per flow basis for multi-service video, voice and data test systems.
- Sigma Designs will showcase a DOCSIS 3.0-based set top box client server reference design that supports voice, data, video, and access control as well as simultaneous record capability for multiple video channels.
- SupportSoft will demonstrate a program that allows cable providers to deliver value-added service such as personalized content, support resolution and software fulfillment with ease.
- Synacor will showcase its unique ability to enable ISPs to further engage their customers through its online portal, suite of value added services and converged product offerings.
- thePlatform will demonstrate social media recommendations merged with cable and broadband delivered video.
- This Technology plans to show its products that help operators manage their supply of advertising opportunities.
- UniSoft and S&T will demonstrate five tru2way and enhanced TV (ETV) and EBIF application creation, testing and delivery options.
- Zodiac Interactive will showcase its PowerUp software services framework which promises to enable rapid deployment of tru2way applications and advanced TV and advertising.
CableLabs® is a registered trademark of Cable Television Laboratories, Inc. Other CableLabs marks are listed at http://www.cablelabs.com/certqual/trademarks. All other marks are the property of their respective owners.